Saturday, July 18, 2020

What is intelligence and does it matter?


Just to reflect: I choose this pic because for me it shows the importance of equity in education.
How can we measure levels of intelligence without to consider the many differences among children?


The interview with Professor Gordon Stobart and the texts of this week are helped me to reflect more clear about what is intelligence and how the schools and sistems of education in general are treatening this question. I think the tradicional view about teaching learning process in the schools keep regulating the teacher's work and children's learning. The intelligence has being measured through IQ tests or other types of tests and Children are being classicated among quicker or low learners. The Schools don't have time to care about the differences of learning among chindren.

About the different levels of intelligence or ranges of capacity professor Gordon Stobart advise:

"So I'd say we have. There may be ranges of capacity, but the key thing is the the way it interacts with the environment. So if you have a really deprived environment it's going to be very difficult to come out with high ability, because you've not had the stimulation, you've not had the structures and the like."

According his vision the enviroment affects learning process more than other points often discussed in the school routine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asnwering the questions of the second week:

1- During your own education, how has your "intelligence" been assessed?

Often, because in Brazil the tradicional view of learning is very strong in the schools and colleges.

2- How has this affected the educational opportunities you have been given?

I think this are affected my behavior and my vision about competition. I mean.. I have learned about need to be better than others, because the opportunities are very few in my country. So, if i want achieve an oportunity i have to be high prepared.

3- What judgments have people made about you that have been affected by an assessment of your "intelligence"?

In school i was very bad in mathemathic. Because of this many times i felt like an incapable.

4- Do you consider yourself to be a "learner"? why?

Yes. Because i'm always available to learn new things, languages, etc. I think to keep the curiosity is very important to learn. I'm trying to keep this.

No comments:

Post a Comment